June 05, 2004
I finished with a day camp in the school on Friday, just yesterday. It was a great one, everything ran smoothly and on time and everything was under control. 'Under control' cos with our children, you'd never know when things will get out of control, and according to the teachers, it's not a remote possibility.
Learnt from the teachers and other volunteers, some of which are parents of the children themselves. And did a lot of exercise helping to man a game station, running up and down the stairs. Phew.
The last bit was a nice dinner in the school garden. Very nice. We had nice table cloths, little improvised vases of cheery flowers, gentle spotlights, and a very good spread of food, including bbq. Very good dinner, I must say. And the ambience was lovely, having dinner in the garden, with the children running about (after they finished theirs), playing with their plastic planes and parents and staff just chatting away, taking a well-deserved break from the long day. Very nice.
For a first time school camp, I must say the organising committee did an excellent job. For me, it was an excellent chance to be thrown in the midst of all the action and get some exposure to the kind of work I'd be doing in my new job and to rapport with my fellow TAs n teachers too.
And I know I'd have lots lots more chances to be touched and moved by the gifts and personal development of the children, and to feel an immense sense of fulfillment for being where I am.
It's only the beginning, a really good one.
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 20:03